The following recipe is the perfect size for a couple or small family. You may want to double it for you though. Enjoy!
1 pound ground beef, pork or turkey
1 15-ounce can of chili beans in sauce Mild, medium or hot works well for this casserole. (Do NOT drain this.)
1 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot)
2 cups broken tortilla chips or Doritos, Tostitos, etc
3/4 cup sour cream
4 medium green onions chopped into small slices
1 medium tomato; chopped (optional)
1-2 cups shredded cheddar, Mexican blend or Monterey Jack cheese
additional broken tortilla chips, Doritos, Tostitos, etc (if desired)
shredded lettuce (optional)
salsa or taco sauce (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You will need a casserole pan. Do NOT grease it for this casserole.
1. In skillet, brown the meat until thoroughly cooked. Drain.
2. Stir in the beans with their sauce and 1 cup of the salsa.
3. Heat to boiling; stirring often.
4. Place some broken tortilla chips onto the bottom of the casserole pan.
5. Cover the chips with the meat mixture.
6. Now spread sour cream over this.
7. It is time to sprinkle in the green onions (if desired) and cheese.
8. Tomatoes are added now if you want them.
Bake UNCOVERED for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.
Once the casserole is out of the oven, you can line the outer edges of the casserole with more broken tortilla chips if you want to..
Serve with chopped lettuce, salsa or taco sauce, if desired.