Grandma Neva Kiefer-Duncan discovered this recipe in the latter 1970s. She is an EXCELLENT cook!!! It was a hit then and a hit today! This is one of those family pleasers that are great any day or anytime that you have extra guests over.
1 cup tomato juice
1 envelope (1 3/4 ozs.) taco seasoning mix
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 fine dry bread crumbs
2 round loaves of bread (Hawaiian Bread works very well for this!)
8 slices of American cheese OR 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped tomatoes (optional)
sliced pickles (optional)
1. Slice the top 3rd of each loaf of bread off of it. Set the top aside.
2. With your hands, scoop out the bulk of the bread from the bigger portion of the bread loaves.
3. Brown the ground beef with the vinegar and the taco seasoning. Add the tomato juice and fine DRY bread crumbs. Stir well.
4. Stuff all of the ground beef mixture into your two loaves.
5. Cover with the American or cheddar cheese.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. Remove from oven.
8. Top all of this with your lettuce, tomatoes and/or sliced pickles.
9. Place the bread loaf tops on top of all of this.
10. Slice each sombrero into 8 wedges to serve.
11. Offer hot sauce or picante sauce to anyone who might be interested.